How to Gain S-OFF on your HTC One
This is a supplemental post for my youtube video on how to gain S-OFF on your HTC One
- Root and Unlock your HTC One
- Enable USB Debugging on your HTC One
- Disable “Fast Boot” under “Settings > Battery” on your HTC One
- Use a USB 2.0 PORT to connect your HTC One to your PC
- Disable any form of LOCK SCREEN Security on your HTC One
- Disable Antivirus and Firewall for the duration of the procedure.
What is S-OFF? (in layman terms)
S-OFF means security-off, as opposed to s-on, which stands for security-on. A vast majority of HTC phones ship with S-ON which limits on how deeply you will have control over your HTC smartphone. It restricts access to some “high-risk” areas of your HTC smartphone that even unlocking the bootloader or rooting your device can’t touch. So, basically, gaining S-OFF means you have access to every nook and cranny of your HTC smartphone and maximum customization becomes available. For instance, with S-OFF you can change the splash screen of your HTC One, which is not possible by root.
In any case, you don’t have to worry too much about S-OFF, just remember that if you are into hacking and modding your phone, installing custom ROMs, and such, then it might be a good idea to have S-OFF since some of those tasks will require you to be S-OFF.